Sunday, October 17, 2010

PE2_Flash Frustration

Bitmap vs. Vector

“Flash is made for creating vector artwork.” Mr. Certified described the purpose of Flash in this manner, once he illustrated the difference between bitmap and vector graphics with the example pictured above. Bitmap graphics are familiar to all of us from any experiences we have in working with a low-resolution photo or graphic file. Because the picture is rather like a cubist version of a Seurat painting, made from squares of single colors rather than dots, the closer you zoom in the more the square edges of the "bones" of the graphic become visible. Vector objects are created mathematically so that no matter how much you zoom in, the formula adjusts and the edges remain clear and crisp. Although I know what a bitmap graphic is, the idea that vector graphics have a mathematical formula is intriguing. I've always been drawn to the way mathematical patterns occur endlessly in nature, from nautilus shells to patterns on reptile skin. When I taught weaving, I introduced the Fibonacci Sequence of striping because the human brain is naturally drawn to it, creating a preference for striping done in that mathematical pattern. Amazing.

But I digress. And the instructor is moving on, like a runaway train.The next topic is merge drawing vs. object drawing: merge drawing is overlapping shapes on the same layer. Object drawing mode means that shapes appear in rectangles as you select them. Object drawing is like Adobe illustrator. One shape doesn’t affect another. All are whole. Merge drawing means that the shapes are informed by each other and, in neighbor shapes, being of the same color causes them to automatically merge into one. Once the shapes are created in one format you can no longer convert from one to another in toolbar; you then must use menu commands at top.

I could go on. Honestly, I don't mean to make my entire blog post a summary of my notes. I found the graphics tutorials fascinating. But after watching many lynda.com tutorials, I felt saturated with LANGUAGE. And I realized, with some horror, how my fifth graders must feel when I go too far in my (earnest, really) explanation of a concept or an historical event in class. The lynda.com Flash tutorials, for me so far, have created a feeling of helplessness. I still have no idea what to expect when I finally get around to using these many tools and shortcuts. The rapidity and intensity of speech in the tutorial is not creating a depth of understanding; there are no "aha" moments. I don't mean, either, to make light of this too much. I know I'm perfectly capable of using Flash in some rudimentary way to begin with, but I'd like a tutorial that would simply walk me through the basics of using it once, not describing every bell and whistle. I have no frame of reference for any of these tools yet.

I've had great experiences with Lynda in the past, but I'm going on a hunt for a more demonstrative introduction to Flash elsewhere, and then decide if I'm going to go ahead with Flash for my practical experience in week 4, too, or wait until I have more time to devote to this. Which will be July 2, 2011.

1 comment: